Thursday 2 June 2011

Uneasy feelings..

I’m disturbed today.  To some extent because I’m tired. – I need to find some rest this week.

I’m also disturbed because some carefully made plans have been easily undone by taking my eye off the ball.   I now have to make more difficult choices than they needed to be, if I had managed situations more diligently. – I feel foolish because plans however detailed and well intended come to nothing unless they are executed and maintained.

I’m disturbed because there is a rising tide of humanistic, new-ageism that is gripping the hearts and minds of disenfranchised  people, and those who have become battered by how we do church. ‘the secret’, ‘desteni’, Law of attraction, Abraham-hicks, IALAC, Oprah spirituality and other universe/self/resonance centric mysticism infiltrates well meaning people who want to see broken lives healed and churches make a difference and are lured in by their desire to make happen what God “seems” unwilling or unable to do directly.

I’m uneasy when I hear and see people being told not to think for themselves. Not encouraged to read, learn, enquire and test instead to ‘experience’, trust, accept. This is the doorway to manipulation and control.

I’m uneasy when leaders [in whatever capacity] are more interested with being followed than by giving a lead that is easy to understand, is exemplified by their own life/actions, and does not require ‘do what I say because I’m a leader’.

I’m concerned about the capitalistic need to be monetarily superior, all the while never feeling satisfied.  This endless dissatisfaction with what we have causes terrible decisions that impact far more than our bank balances. What we eat, where, consume should cause us to be uneasy, and I’m uneasy that it’s so easily put to one side for the sake of personal convenience.

Other than being tired, there is no connection between these items… they are just some of the things that are on my mind that I thought I’d get onto virtual paper.

Feelings are fickle, they cannot always be trusted to be accurate bell-weathers but that doesn’t make them unimportant. We feel fear when we are frightened. We feel nervous when we are unsure. We feel love when we are held and made secure. We feel safe when we are not threatened or on familiar ground.  But they should never be allowed to overule the head as fear can be irrational, nervousness can be normal, love can be misplaced and safety an illusion.

No comments: