Thursday 23 February 2012

Je ne regrette rien?

For nearly all my life I’ve held pretty fast to the claim that there is little I regret because the sum of all experiences good and bad have created the person I am.  How we handle success and failure, pain and the pain we cause others, construction and destruction informs us greatly about who we are, what makes us tick and what we think about ourselves (and others!) but I’ve been rethinking this of late.

It occurs to me that:

  1. Forgiving and forgiveness cannot happen if you don’t believe that there is anything that you need to be forgiven or indeed that you may be sorry for. 
  2. Bitterness is the outcome of lack of forgiveness and that leads to stubbornness – neither seems to be in the list of fruits of the spirit
  3. There are definitely things that I regret.

No comments: